There’s nothing more special for moms on Mother’s Day than a thoughtful, handmade gift from the kids (or grandkids). This year, ditch the store-bought photo frame, avoid the expensive flowers and create something unique for the incredible mothers in your life.
Mother’s Day Yarn Wrapping
A soft and beautiful homemade gift that’s just as lovely as mom! Use various shades and textures to give this awesome craft a bohemian feel. tierraencantada.com/mother-s-day-yarn-wrapping
- Various colors of yarn, string, ribbon or other decorative wrappings
- Box cutter
- Using your box cutters, cut an M out of cardboard (this is an adult-only step).
- Wrap your yarn around and around your M securing with tape at the back.
- Mix colors, overlap and make pompoms for this lovely Mother’s Day gift!
Coffee Filter Flower Bouquet
Spring is in the air! These flowers are perfect for when you need a spring vibe before the real flowers bloom. tierraencantada.com/coffee-filter-flowers
- Three coffee filters per flower
- Pipe cleaners
- Paint brush
- Stack your coffee filters and fold in half three times so they resemble a triangle.
- Cut the edge of your triangle into a petal shape leaving the side intact.
- Cut a tiny hole at the tip of the triangle.
- Paint your coffee filters different colors with the watercolors; let dry.
- Using your pipe cleaners, thread your coffee filters on one at a time making sure to bunch them together at the end to resemble flowers.
- Glue the tip of your pipe cleaners to the filters to keep them together.
- Add to a vase and enjoy!
Flower Photo Activity
Use a picture of your little flower to make THIS little flower! We think this is the perfect gift for Grandma or Mom on Mother’s Day! tierraencantada.com/flower-photo
- A picture of your child cut into a circle
- A seedling pot or small disposable cup
- A straw painted green
- Construction paper
- Cupcake liners
- Floral foam
- Filler like rocks or sand
- Decorative filler for the top of your pot (optional)
- Paint your seedling pot and let dry.
- Cut a small circle of floral foam to add to your pot.
- Cut out six petals from the construction paper.
- Staple your cupcake liner to the straw and glue your child’s photo to the liner.
- Glue the petals to the back of the liner.
- Stick the straw into your floral foam and add your filler to keep it upright; add decorative filler if necessary.
- Enjoy your lovely photo flower!
Share photos of your Mother’s Day creations with us on Instagram @washingtonparent!