Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show others you care. Here are a few hearty gift and greeting ideas to make and share with “family” and even outdoor feathered friends!
OPEN-HEART POMPOM PICTURE FRAME
- Cardstock (8 ½- x 11-inch)
- Disposable plate
- White glue
- Pompoms (Valentine colors)
- Picture of yourself (4- x 6-inch)
- Strip of magnetic tape
- Fold cardstock in half. Starting from the folded edge, cut a half-heart shape that measures approximately 4 1/2-inches wide by 6 1/4-inches high.
- With the paper still folded, cut out a smaller heart shape within the heart you just cut, making this one approximately 2 3/4-inches wide by 3 ½-inches high.
- Discard small heart shape or use for another craft.
- Open the heart with the hole in the center. This will be your picture frame.
- Pour glue onto disposable plate.
- Dip pompoms into glue then place around the heart frame until it is full. Let dry.
- Tape picture of yourself to the backside of the heart frame.
- Place magnetic tape to the backside of the heart frame.
- Give as a gift to someone you love.
HEART STRINGS CARD
- Cardstock, white
- Yarn, various bright colors
- Large sewing needle
- Heart template or cookie cutter
- Measure and cut a 7- x 10-inch piece of cardstock.
- Fold cardstock in half to create a 7- x 5-inch card.
- Open card and lay on flat surface, so the fold is in the center.
- Place heart template on one side of the card. Trace around the heart with a pencil.
- Use needle to punch small holes that are evenly spaced along the heart outline you drew.
- Carefully erase any remaining pencil lines.
- Cut a long piece of yarn then thread it through the eye of the needle. Tie a knot at the bottom of the long end of the yarn.
- Thread yarn in and out through the holes, stretching the yarn across the heart shape to create a criss-cross pattern.
- Continue with step 8 until all holes have been threaded. Tie a knot on the backside of your design. Set aside.
- Cut another piece of card stock that measures 6 ½- x 4 ½-inch.
- Place glue around the perimeter of the paper in step 10. Then glue over the backside of your heart design to cover the underneath threading. Let dry.
- Fold card back in half and write a Valentine greeting. Place card in an envelope and give to someone you love.
- Repeat steps 1 – 12 to make other cards, using different colored yarn, if desired.
HEARTY BIRD FEEDER
- Pipe cleaners
- Ring-type cereal (Cheerios, Fruit Loops, etc,)
- Form pipe cleaner into the shape of a heart, making sure the two open ends are at the bottom.
- String cereal onto the pipe cleaner until it is full.
- Bring bottom open ends together and twist together to close the heart.
- Cut and tie a piece of twine to the top of the heart.
- Hang on a tree.
SUPER SLEUTH GREETING CARD
- 8 ½- x 11-Inch poster board
- Create a special picture and/or message with markers on one side of the poster board.
- Turn poster over and draw a line down the middle.
- On either side of this center line, mark off lines in ½-inch intervals.
- Use scissors to cut across the lines so you have 22 strips.
- Shuffle the strips so they are out of order, then place in an envelope.
- Give as a greeting card to a friend or family member and challenge them to put together your puzzle.
You Will LOVE These Valentines Day Crafts!
14 Sweet Ideas for a Lovely Valentine’s Day
Valentines Day Crafts, Games and Books